Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Lost in Space... no longer


The second and third pictures are of the sweater and pants set (finished back in July) that I sent to little Ethan C. Twighead that I am, I sent it to the wrong address - Ethan's mum called me today to say she'd finally got it. Good thing too, since it only just fits him!

I made the sweater from a pattern in an old baby book - I'd say it's from the late 60s or early 70s. The original pattern has some pretty lurid colours, so I changed those, and knit it in lovely soft 100% wool Lanett. I also changed the neckband slightly, knitting it twice the length suggested, and then turning it under and sewing it down. That way I was able to cast off very loosely without it looking untidy. I sometimes find the necklines on these older patterns come out rather tight, and I hope my adaptation will keep the neckline stretchy enough.

After it was done it didn't feel right as a baby gift unless it had pants to go with it, so I took a Pingouin pattern I'd knit for Kittycat (first picture - she was such a chubby little newborn...) and adapted it. I changed the crochet edging for a neat hem, and I made a little pocket with the pattern from the sweater.

If I were to knit it again, I think I'd add a few cm to the sweater body, too.

I'm pleased with how this project turned out. I hope this very loved little boy is cosy in it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home