Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Nifty neckline and the sweater from Hades


I decided to try out this technique for avoiding steps when casting off for a neckline.
The directions said to cast off 10, then 2, then 2 more stitches for the neckline. Instead, I used short rows. Instead of casting off 10 stitches, on the previous row I left 10 stitches on the needle and turned the work. I did the same for the 2 sets of 2 stitches. On the next row I worked all the stitches, then on the next cast off all 14 stitches at once (continuing to work on the remaining stitches up the side of the neck). For the short rows, I worked wraps.

I still need to put the decorative edging on but you can see from the photo that I now have a nice smooth curve to work off. I like it!

This sweater has given me so much grief - but it is now finally finished! It is a Phildar pattern, and it's really nice, but I started it when my husband was one size, then he started working out, his shoulders got bigger, and the rest is a tragic history. Really, I know I should have frogged it... but I couldn't. Instead I made armhole gussets (which I thought was quite ingenious of me!) and then also ended up having to add to the sleeve length (I knit an extra cuff piece then grafted it onto the cast on edge... yeah, my grafting needs practice).

It is now DONE and if he asks me to change anything else about it I am SO frogging it and making something for ME.


Blogger Christine said...

Lovely work Christine! I especially like hubby's sweater.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home